Looking at the quality of this year’s speakers and the number of tickets sold, it looks like the #DISUMMIT is becoming the “annual conference of the European #AI ecosystem “
Here is the success formula:
- diSummit is organised together with Icity.brussels at the Universite Libre de Bruxelles. We expect 800 participants.
- The event is the annual conference of the #datascience community grouping all the related meetups like Data Science Community (Brussels, Liège, Antwerp, Ghent, Leuve), R-ladies, #AI meetup …
- It is a Team event where companies send out their teams to update their skills and to get some inspiration.
- All the stakeholders of the #AI ecosystem are participating:
Academic – Political – Communities – Start-ups – SME – Big Corporates:
- CxO of top startups like Collibra or Digital Genius
- #AI Think thanks from different countries ( Hub France #AI , Vlaanderen AI , UK )
- Top universities present with speakers and workshops (Monreal, KUL, ULB, VUB …)
- Passionate speakers with less experience in the Ingnite talk sessions
- Lots Networking is organised to allow everyone to connect with the right people of the industry.
- Companies recruiting are present at the Jobfair to meet the experts and the young graduates that wil be present.
- At the Partner Village companies looking for solutions can talk to the real experts
- Inspiring day geared around learning and sharing
- Over 50 presentations in the plenary
- Master Classes for the managers in the break outs
- Hands-on sessions for the nerds in the break outs
- There is a very exclusive speakers’ dinner hosted by Prof. Hugues Bersini on June 20th.
- And at the end the day there is a BBQ with the best craft beers of Brussels
It is the 4th edition and all previous editions were sold out.
Please don’t forget to forward this to your teams and recruiting experts because you can still book a booth at the JobFair or in the Partner Village.
Key Figures about the event:
- 7 parallel session – 1 auditorium for 800p and 6 classrooms for 60p
- 800 participants coming from the entire #AI ecosystem
- 50 Presentations
- 10 Master Classes
- 10 Hands-on workshops
- 50 companies recruiting
More information: disummit.com
Check out the videos.
Presenting Fritz Schiltz our youngest speaker of #disummit – he will talk about using #machinelearning to improve the ranking system of schools.
Fritz is an applied econometrician at the University of Leuven where he applies advanced analytics to evaluate policies, mainly in education. He has worked on reports for the European Union, the Ministry of Education and Syntra. Halfway his PhD in Economics he shifted his interests towards machine learning methods. His presentation is the result from joint work with the Bank of Italy and illustrates how machine learning or AI methods can be used to improve school rankings using an Italian dataset.
Machine learning methods can be used to improve the assessment of school quality. School rankings based on value-added (VA) estimates are subject to prediction errors, since VA is defined as the difference between predicted and actual scores of students. More accurate predictions result in more informative school rankings, and better policies. We introduce a more flexible random forest (RF), rooted in the machine learning literature, to minimize prediction errors and to improve school rankings. Monte Carlo simulations demonstrate the advantages of this approach. Applying the proposed method to administrative data on Italian middle schools indicates that school rankings are sensitive to prediction errors, even when extensive controls are added.
At the 2017 Data Innovation Summit I highlighted the need to take ethics into account when designing algorithms (see also the first meetup we organized at DigitYser with the help of Philippe on this topic). This was my priority at RTBF and has been one of my main area of work at European level as chairman of the Big Data Initiative of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU). This priority seems nowadays to be shared by many and I’m pleased to see that the situation has improved a lot in the last months. I’ll start my 2018 keynote at the Data Innovation Summit with some concrete examples before moving on the next big challenge (and the topic of my 2018 talk): Data Sovereignty.
I first coined this term during a keynote speech I gave earlier this year to RTBF employees in an attempt to raise their awareness on why we need to become less dependent of internet traffic referral sites like Google and Facebook. I further explained my vision in this article.
Data sovereignty is especially crucial for media websites which rely too much on on Google and Facebook. Some fellow members of the European Broadcasting Union have seen their traffic badly hit after Facebook and Google changed their algorithms, revealing our overall dependency to these third-party ecosystems.
At the 2018 Data Innovation Summit I’ll give some astonishing examples of this dependency and will explain the RTBF strategy and what we have done in the last 12 months to achieve our goal: becoming more data-independent and building a sustainable and bright long-term future for our organization.
Besides explaining the steps we undertook to realize this, I will also share with you the message I gave to the members of the EBU Big Data Initiative and the “state of the union” as far as data independency is concerned.
I hope to see you in Brussels on 27 June and to share ideas with you on those important topics.
Pierre-Nicolas Schwab is the founder of market research agency IntoTheMinds
He has been Big Data manager at RTBF (Belgium) since 2016 and was elected chairman of the Big Data Initiative of the European Broadcasting Union (Switzerland) in 2017.
#DISUMMIT : First Team Packs have been ordered !
Here is one of the analytic teams who is going to spend a full day at the Université libre de Bruxelles to find some inspirations for their next #AI project.
You should invite your team too,
get inspired from over 40 presentations, benefit from the master classes & hands-on workshops, do loads of networking and end off with a BBQ in the Beergarden.
Order the team pack now and join us on June 27th for the annual conference of the data science community.
more info on disummit.com