This module allows you to be a better programmer by writing your own functions, getting acquainted with commonly used R functions for basic data manipulation and the R object oriented programming environment.
The following is covered in this module:
- with, within, by, apply family of functions & split-apply-combine strategy
- vectorisation, parallel execution of code
- data.table – fast group by, joining and data.
- table programming tricks
- basic regular expressions
- writing your own functions
- reshaping from wide to long format
- S3 classes, generics and basic S4 methodology
- handling of errors and exceptions, debugging code
Be prepared on some tough exercises, so bring your laptop.
Instructor: Jan Wijfels, BNOSAC
Jan Wijffels is the founder of www.bnosac.be – a consultancy company specialised in statistical analysis and data mining. He holds a Master in Commercial Engineering, a MSc in Statistics and a Master in Artificial Intelligence and has been using R for 8 years, developing and deploying R-based solutions for clients in the private sector. He has developed and co-developed the R packages ETLUtils and ffbase.
Duration: 1 day