Ghent University Global Campus (Incheon, South-Korea) has a vacancy for a professorship, starting from August 1, 2015. It concerns a full-time (100%) position as a professor in a rank (lecturer, senior lecturer or full professor) depending on the specific profile of the candidate. The candidate will be charged with academic teaching (in English) and scientific and academic duties.
Ghent University Global Campus invites applications from candidates with research programs in Statistics and Stochastic Modeling applied to the life sciences, specifically to Molecular Biotechnology, Environmental Technology and Food Technology
The candidate is expected to teach two courses in Statistics in the bachelor years and will in a later stage also teach two specialized related courses in the higher years of the bachelor or master programs. There is also the possibility of getting involved in the informatics training of the life science students. We expect the candidate to engage in the build-up of a data analysis research unit, in collaboration with colleagues and fellow professors at Ghent University Global Campus and related research groups at Ghent University in Belgium.
Ghent University Global Campus offers a five-year contract with a 90 % appointment at the Global Campus in Korea and a 10 % appointment at Ghent University, Belgium. This contact is renewable. The terms of employment at Ghent University Global Campus are comparable to European institutions and will be negotiated on an individual basis. Attractive incentives to relocate and a competitive research start-up package will be provided. Review of applications will begin by March 16, 2015. Review of applications will begin March 16, 2015.
- should submit curriculum vitae, a statement of research interest and information on teaching experience
- to Prof. Els Goetghebeur (Els.Goetghebeur@UGent.be), Prof. Lieven Clement (Lieven.Clement@UGent.be) and Dr. Thomas Buerman (Thomas.Buerman@UGent.be).
- Candidates hold a PhD degree in statistics or related discipline with relevant experience at the moment of application;
- Candidates have at least two years of post-doctoral experience at the time of appointment;
- Candidates are experienced in statistical modeling and data analysis relevant to the life sciences, e.g. in Statistical Genomics, Environmental Statistics, High Dimensional Data Analysis and/or Statistical Process Control, which is proven by recent publications in national and international peer reviewed journals and/or books, and by presentations and contributions on national and international scientific meetings;
- Candidates show sufficient knowledge and experience in applying statistics to teach basic courses in this discipline for the life sciences;
- Candidates have the necessary didactical, organizational and communicative skills for teaching at an academic level;
- Candidates have the drive to build a statistical research unit in collaboration with colleagues at Ghent University Global Campus and related groups at the Ghent University home campus. The unit will serve as a local point of reference for statistical methods development, design and analysis of empirical research in the life sciences;
- To have experience with R/bioconductor, Python, Java or other relevant software packages and/or Big data hard and software will be considered an asset;
- To have experience in leading research projects and/or coaching PhD students will be considered an asset;
- To have international academic experience will be considered an asset.
Ghent University Global Campus is the first campus of Ghent University outside Belgium. This brand new campus is situated in Incheon, South-Korea. At the Global Campus Ghent University will offer 4-year bachelor and 2-year master programs in Molecular Biotechnology, Environmental Technology and Food Technology. Its programs are accredited in Flanders and in Korea. The granted degrees will be Ghent University degrees. The Ghent University Global Campus integrates educational and research facilities in a single building. Ghent University has the ambition to organize a first-rate, truly European education in Asia and to develop excellent research in the three above-mentioned fields.
More detailed information on teaching, research and academic tasks can be obtained from Prof. Els Goetghebeur (Els.Goetghebeur@UGent.be; +32 9 264 48 11) and Prof. Lieven Clement (Lieven.Clement@UGent.be; +32 9 264 49 04) . More detailed information about Ghent University Global Campus and the application procedure can be obtained from Dr. Thomas Buerman (Thomas.Buerman@ugent.be; + 82 32 626 4100).